Five smart uses for coconut oil
Tip of the week...
▪ As a conditioner: Many hair products contain coconut oil, so why not use it straight up? Before bed, massage warmed oil into scalp and then wrap your hair in a towel. In the morning, wash out the oil with shampoo.
▪ A wood moisturizer: Prevent wood or bamboo cutting boards from cracking by applying coconut oil to both sides. Stand the board upright overnight to let it dry.
▪ A makeup remover: A dab of liquid coconut oil serves double duty: It will lift away yesterday’s mascara—and moisturize your skin.
▪ A sticker remover: A mixture of one part coconut oil to one part baking soda is a powerful, all-natural alternative to products like Goo Gone. Once you peel away a sticker, apply the paste, let it sit for 20 minutes, then wipe away the residue.
▪ A sunburn salve: Coconut oil’s moisturizing properties accelerate healing, and its antimicrobial properties help prevent infections.
Source: Real Simple ■