After The Wall Street Journal published decades of sexual misconduct allegations against casino magnate Steve Wynn in January, police in Las Vegas were approached by a woman who accused Wynn of raping her in the 1970s, The Associated Press reports.
On Tuesday, AP obtained copies of police reports recently filed by two women, including one who said that Wynn raped her inside her Chicago apartment at least three times in 1973 and 1974. She also told police that she became pregnant and gave birth to a daughter inside a gas station bathroom.
The second woman said that in 1976, while working at the Golden Nugget casino-hotel in Las Vegas, she had consensual sex with Wynn "several times," but "felt coerced to perform the acts." When she became involved in a romantic relationship with someone else, the woman said, she rebuffed Wynn's advances and was then accused of stealing $40 and forced to resign.
Because the statute of limitations in Nevada is 20 years, the Las Vegas case will not be investigated, AP says. Wynn denied all of the allegations reported by the Journal, claiming they are part of a smear campaign against him. Earlier this month, the billionaire resigned as chairman and CEO of Wynn Resorts, and in January he stepped down as finance chair of the Republican National Committee. Catherine Garcia
President Trump followed up his initial claim that the Nunes memo "totally vindicates 'Trump'" in the Russia probe with additional tweets Saturday evening accusing the FBI and the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (also called the FISA court) of being used to manipulate the 2016 election. Quoting a Wall Street Journal editorial, Trump aimed his worst ire at the FBI:
“The four page memo released Friday reports the disturbing fact about how the FBI and FISA appear to have been used to influence the 2016 election and its aftermath....The FBI failed to inform the FISA court that the Clinton campaign had funded the dossier....the FBI became....
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 4, 2018
...a tool of anti-Trump political actors. This is unacceptable in a democracy and ought to alarm anyone who wants the FBI to be a nonpartisan enforcer of the law....The FBI wasn’t straight with Congress, as it hid most of these facts from investigators.” Wall Street Journal
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 4, 2018
The editorial's argument rests on the memo's revelation that the FBI acquired FISA permission to spy on Trump campaign aide Carter Page based significantly on the Steele dossier, whose creation was partially funded by a Clinton campaign lawyer, without telling the court the source of the information. Thus, the Journal says, the "FBI in essence let itself and the FISA court be used to promote a major theme of the Clinton campaign."
However, the Journal rejected Trump's claim that the memo proves his campaign innocent of Russia-related allegations under investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. "We doubt Mr. Mueller will be deterred by any of this," the editorial says. "The question of FISA abuse is independent of Mr. Mueller’s work, and one that Congress takes up amid a larger debate about surveillance and national security." Bonnie Kristian
The government of North Korea earned $200 million in 2017 making prohibited arms sales to Syria and Myanmar, a confidential United Nations document reports. The exports were made in violation of U.N. sanctions, the report says, and with the knowledge of other countries including China, Russia, and Malaysia, none of which stopped the sales.
Pyongyang is also in violation of other sanctions, the U.N. says, "flouting the most recent resolutions by exploiting global oil supply chains, complicit foreign nationals, offshore company registries, and the international banking system." The report indicates the investigation found "further evidence of arms embargo and other violations [by North Korea], including through the transfer of items with utility in ballistic missile and chemical weapons programs," as well.
Investigators hired by the Humane Society of the United States to look into the behavior of CEO Wayne Pacelle have identified three complaints of sexual harassment and found that the charity paid settlements to three other employees who said they were demoted or fired after reporting Pacelle's conduct, The Washington Post reports.
The Post spoke with two people who have knowledge of the matter and also obtained a Humane Society memo that goes into detail about the investigation. The inquiry began Dec. 20, following an anonymous complaint about Pacelle's behavior. Investigators interviewed more than 30 people, including Pacelle, and several women said they sounded the alarm on Pacelle and his conduct but were ignored. The three complaints of sexual harassment included one woman who said he gave her an unwanted kiss while she was an intern; another who said she rebuffed his sexual advances and was warned she would lose her job if she told anyone what happened; and a third who said he came to her office late one night, started salsa dancing, and asked her to join in.
In an interview Monday with the Post, Pacelle, who has been CEO since 2004, denied "any suggestion that I did anything untoward," and called the accusations "a coordinated attempt to attack me and the organization." He also said allegations that he had consensual sex with subordinates, volunteers, and donors were false. Investigators spoke with several employees who defended Pacelle, and those who came forward to speak with the Post said they did so because they believe in the organization and the work it does to help animals, and they want to see the culture change. Catherine Garcia
Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles said Monday she was "one of many survivors that was sexually abused by Larry Nassar," the former doctor for USA Gymnastics.
In a social media post, the gymnast said there are "many reasons that I have been reluctant to share my story, but I know now it is not my fault." Nassar, who worked for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State, has been accused of abuse by 140 women, including Olympians Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, and Gabby Douglas. Nassar has already been sentenced to 60 years in prison for possessing child pornography, and he's awaiting sentencing this week for several counts of sexual assault, to which he pleaded guilty last year.
Biles said she decided to come forward after "hearing the brave stories of my friends and other survivors," and said she knows "that this horrific experience does not define me. I am much more than this." Catherine Garcia
Three women have come forward to accuse actor Dustin Hoffman of sexual misconduct, including one who said he exposed himself to her when she was in high school, Variety reports.
Cori Thomas said in 1980, she spent an afternoon with Hoffman and his daughter, her classmate Karina, in New York City. Instead of picking her up at a restaurant, Hoffman changed the plans and told the restaurant to tell Thomas' parents to pick her up at his hotel room. Karina left and Hoffman decided to take a shower, coming out in a towel and then dropping it. "It was the first time I had ever seen a naked man," Thomas, who was 16 at the time, said. "I was mortified." Thomas said he asked her to massage his feet, which she did because she "didn't know that I could say no," and he made suggestive comments, which she ignored.
Two other women told Variety Hoffman sexually assaulted them while filming 1987's Ishtar. Melissa Kester said her boyfriend at the time was working on the movie's music, and brought her to the recording studio several times. During one visit, Hoffman called her into the recording booth, Kester said, and he "just stuck his fingers down my pants. He put his fingers inside me. I didn't know what to do." Variety also spoke to a woman who was an extra in Ishtar, who shared a similar story. While shooting in New York City, Hoffman offered her a ride home with several other people, the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said. In the back of the station wagon, Hoffman "just took his hand and stuck his fingers right up inside of me," she said. "I didn't know what to do." He asked her to go to his hotel room, and there, they had intercourse.
The woman told Variety she considered the station wagon incident non-consensual, and when asked if the hotel encounter was, she said, "I don't know." Hoffman's attorney, Mark A. Neubauer, called the accusations "defamatory falsehoods." Earlier this year, Anna Graham Hunter accused Hoffman of groping her in 1985, while she was a teenager. Catherine Garcia
After NBC News announced Wednesday morning it fired Today host Matt Lauer for "inappropriate sexual behavior" toward a colleague, two more women have made complaints to the network related to Lauer, a person with knowledge of the matter told The New York Times.
One of those women, a former employee, spoke to the Times but asked that her name not be used. She said in 2001, Lauer asked her to come into his office, and he had sex with her. The woman said she was afraid she might lose her job, and because she felt ashamed about what happened, she didn't tell the company.
After Lauer's firing was announced, Variety published a report with several accounts of Lauer making women he worked with uncomfortable and upset, including giving one colleague a sex toy with a note "about how he wanted to use it on her." The report also included the disturbing detail that in Lauer's office, he had a button under his desk "that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up," making it easier for him to "initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him." Catherine Garcia
Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas wrote in an Instagram post on Tuesday that she was sexually abused by Larry Nassar, Team USA's doctor.
Douglas, 21, said she didn't tell anyone about the abuse because "for years we were conditioned to stay silent, and honestly, some things were extremely painful. I wholeheartedly support my teammates for coming forward with what happened to them."
Her former teammates Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney have both said they were abused by Nassar, 54, who served as the national team doctor for more than 20 years. He is accused of molesting several girls while working for USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University, and will plead guilty to multiple charges of assault, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press Tuesday. Catherine Garcia